After putting the writing experiment on hold for the weekend to clear my head, I've come to realize that in order to continue, I had to make some changes. While some of these changes run counter to what I had originally anticipated, I feel that they will benefit both the writing experiment as well as you, my faithful readers.
- Effective immediately, I will no longer use the first suggestion I get right off. Instead, from 12am to approximately 10 pm, I will accept any and all writing ideas, and then choose the best one for the day to write about.
The reason I am doing this is partially due to the fact that I tend to solicit at strange times, so 1) many fans are not on when I request; 2) if people feel that they can't get the one slot, they'll stop participating; 3) the more options I have, the better I can write.
- Since I'm getting something from you, I feel as though I should offer something in kind. As I am but a poor struggling writer, the best I can offer at this time is a small image stating that I have chosen your idea for the day; you can post it on your website, your blog, facebook, or if you really want to, you can print it out and post it on your wall.
- I will no longer write seven days a week. This serves several purposes: it allows me some time off to prevent burn out, and I can also chose the idea of the week, which will get another little image to prove how awesome you are.
- Writing prompts need to be more specific: an idea is only as good as its framework: please define some boundaries (ie: a strange mystery = not a good writing prompt. a strange mystery set at a body farm = much better)
- Please do not suggest ideas that require explanation of inside jokes or low brow humor. I can do low-brow well enough on my own, but if it starts out low, it can only go lower, and then everyone feels dirty and violated afterwards... not good.
- Have fun with it! I enjoy writing, I want you to have fun reading it.
- Please tell anyone you know about the writing experiment, the more the merrier!
If you have any suggestions for things I can do with the experiment, or if you want to do a guest spot, please contact me through facebook via Nathan's writing experiment; Twitter via @Nathswritingexp; or through gmail via Nathanswritingexperiment (at) gmail (dot) com. (you'll have to manual the email - cuts down on spam that way)