Sunday, January 31, 2010

Updates to the Writing Experiment

Hello all,

After putting the writing experiment on hold for the weekend to clear my head, I've come to realize that in order to continue, I had to make some changes. While some of these changes run counter to what I had originally anticipated, I feel that they will benefit both the writing experiment as well as you, my faithful readers.

- Effective immediately, I will no longer use the first suggestion I get right off. Instead, from 12am to approximately 10 pm, I will accept any and all writing ideas, and then choose the best one for the day to write about.
The reason I am doing this is partially due to the fact that I tend to solicit at strange times, so 1) many fans are not on when I request; 2) if people feel that they can't get the one slot, they'll stop participating; 3) the more options I have, the better I can write.

- Since I'm getting something from you, I feel as though I should offer something in kind. As I am but a poor struggling writer, the best I can offer at this time is a small image stating that I have chosen your idea for the day; you can post it on your website, your blog, facebook, or if you really want to, you can print it out and post it on your wall.

- I will no longer write seven days a week. This serves several purposes: it allows me some time off to prevent burn out, and I can also chose the idea of the week, which will get another little image to prove how awesome you are.

- Writing prompts need to be more specific: an idea is only as good as its framework: please define some boundaries (ie: a strange mystery = not a good writing prompt. a strange mystery set at a body farm = much better)

- Please do not suggest ideas that require explanation of inside jokes or low brow humor. I can do low-brow well enough on my own, but if it starts out low, it can only go lower, and then everyone feels dirty and violated afterwards... not good.

- Have fun with it! I enjoy writing, I want you to have fun reading it.

- Please tell anyone you know about the writing experiment, the more the merrier!

If you have any suggestions for things I can do with the experiment, or if you want to do a guest spot, please contact me through facebook via Nathan's writing experiment; Twitter via @Nathswritingexp; or through gmail via Nathanswritingexperiment (at) gmail (dot) com. (you'll have to manual the email - cuts down on spam that way)

No comments: