Sunday, December 6, 2009

Final Writing Experiment number 7

Sooner or later, all good things must come to an end, and unfortunately, this experiment is one of those. As much fun as this last week has been, I have other irons in the fire that actually will pay me money - if I get my act together. However, I've got plans for the new year, so I'll keep you posted as it draws near.
Anyways, enough about that preamble to the ramble... here we go with the topic for tonight's post:

Writing Experiment 7 - Why is my wife always right, Which came first: The chicken or the egg, and write my life story in seven words or less

I just love it when I open my mouth to insert my foot. Especially when I manage to say something when my wife, Melissa is around. While most of the time we agree, there are times when we don't really see eye to eye. Just like any married couple, we have our disagreements, even our knock down drag out fights. Irregardless of the outcome, we still love each other.
Now, any guy who has been married for any appreciable amount of time can attest, we can never win a fight. Not a smart ass remark, simply an observation.
The question is, why?
The short answer is that it's the right thing to do. The longer more complicated answer has many facets. I will be using my Wife as an example.
One the one hand, I'm wrong. Simple, to the point, I am wrong. I may continue to argue, but Melissa will present incontrovertible proof that forces me to shut up.
On another hand, it could be that we have a misunderstanding about something that once it is resolved, I agree with Melissa - thereby her being correct.
Pulling up another hand, I might be right. However, this is negated by one of three things: 1) I might be right, but then proven wrong at a later date. 2) I am right, but I can't prove it, or 3) I'm right, but I chose to abandon the argument because it is causing too much strife or stress in the house.
Of course, Melissa will disagree vehemently with me about this, but the majority of arguments are based off of differing points of view, and since I'm writing this, I'm right... up until Melissa tells me I'm wrong.
Now all of that above may seem immature and petty, and plainly on the page, it seems like it. However, there are subtle nuances to the verbal dancing that cannot be conveyed in text. It's a matter of respect, a little pride, and a lot of diplomacy. In a relationship like ours, both of us can't always be right, and as much as I like to parade around my superiority (see last night's post), I know it can get rather overbearing and offensive.
Melissa is always right because it works in this relationship - even when she's wrong, she's right, and I love her dearly for it. Besides, I would rather be with her than be right any day.
Cop out? you better believe it, but the fringe benefits more than make up for it. *wink*

***


A philosophical question for you, and I apologize for the cliche, but here it is.... What came first, the chicken or the egg? I suppose we could rephrase that as Heisenberg's theory of uncertainty. Granted, it is a bit of a stretch - one concerns the idea of what begun the perpetuation of a species, the other is an attempt to prove a being can be present in two states of being at the same time....
On second thought, let's skip Heisenberg.
I suppose if we go back far enough in time, we can show that the question is not valid - if you follow the concept of evolution, we find that it was actually the lizard that came first, so we can finally put (forgive the pun) this bird to rest.
But hold on, you say. That's a huge cop out! Well, again, you'd be right. I never said I was going to argue one way or the other, but I suppose that's what you were expecting so, let's take a closer look at this.
A brief run through my favorite search engine (yay GOOGLE!) offered up an interesting little nugget that "allegedly" proves the argument has a conclusion: The egg came first. They claim that even though the parent may not have been a chicken, if the egg was a mutation that creates a chicken, the egg is considered a chicken egg. Therefore, the egg came first.
If you want to argue ownership rights, that's a different post. This one is finished.
(Personally, I was rooting for the chicken)

***


Born warped, married smart, kids, write hard.


all together now...

Born, married, wife right, egg first, done.

No comments: